3.07.2004

Film Threat magazine online has just posted a review of Berta, (the body switch movie I made last year with Jose)! It took them eight months, but hey…any press is good press. The critic pretty much hated it, but I can see his points and oddly enough, he liked me. Pleasant is good, right?
Excerpt:
“…the lead actress is such a great new face. Wolfmann as the curious Berta has a great natural chemistry with the camera, and has wonderful comedic timing that goes back to the days of Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett. She has a pleasant face and eyes that a man (or woman) could fall in love with. I wasn’t impressed with the film, but I didn’t mind when she was on the screen.”

Speaking of indie films, I should be flying down to LA this Friday to be in Mark’s film. I can’t believe I’m going to meet Udo Kier. Even more unbelievable is that I’ll have to speak German in front of him with my Central Valley accent.

I just got back from seeing a restored print of Piccadilly (1929) starring Anna May Wong at the Castro, which was part of the SF International Asian American Film Festival. It’s the only silent I know of that deals with inter-racial relationships. I was completely blown away that these issues could have been dealt with so frankly at the time…and in England no less. There’s a bar scene in which a white flapper is accosted for dancing with a black man while the very cultured and poised lead couple (Anna May Wong and Jameson Thomas) watch in horror, knowing it’s a parable of their future. Wong’s acting is so subtle and beautiful…definitely in the school of Louise Brooks as opposed to the stagier styles of the time (such as Gilda Gray’s acting style in this film as the psychotically jealous white girlfriend).