2.17.2004

Since I missed the all-girl-fiction-workshop last night, I wanted to perform the exercise so as to keep up with their intended plan (although it sounds like they skipped this as well), which was to write a short short. Since I’ve been thinking a lot about the mythos of first meetings and how strangers become lovers, I thought I’d write something about an epic meeting that I’ve heard about all my life. Maybe this is a skeleton for chapter one on Raised by Wolfmanns (the imaginary book I’m writing in an alternate universe).

They met under the Banyan tree in Hawaii in 1964. For the longest time I thought “under the Banyan tree” is where everyone found who they were going to marry. They were both on vacation from New York and worked in retail, of course. He actually asked her, “Do you come here often?” and it worked because he was good-looking, well-dressed, and had an indeterminable European accent. Later that day she found out that it was a Viennese accent slanted the wrong way from years of exposure to Cockney slang. Later that day she also found out that he wanted to marry her because that’s what he had always intended to do – come to America and marry the JAP of his dreams.

Ok, the short short is pretty short, but I have plans to go to a very cool movie series at the El Rio.

Today’s Meditations:

Sex and the typewriter: Thank you for bringing this amazing piece of history to my attention, Steve!

Druggachusettes: A look inside the Krofft universe.

Sims playing with Sims: Very meta-something-or-other.

Postcards from the future: Sad fun with Photoshop.