5.20.2004

Pansies and Rough Guys

Bethanne just sent me the lyrics to this old Ruth Etting song about Taxi Dancers:

"Ten Cents a Dance"

Ten cents a dance, that's what they pay me
Gosh, how they weigh me down
Ten cents a dance, pansies and rough guys
Tough guys who tear my gown

Seven to midnight I hear drums
Loudly the saxophone blows
Trumpets are tearing my eardrums
Customers crush my toes

Sometimes I think I've found my hero
But it's a queer romance
All that you need is a ticket
Come on, big boy, ten cents a dance!


Tonight Lisa and I are meeting about the upcoming plans for SpeakEasily! It's really coming together. Prepare to be astounded.
Thanks so much to everyone who has been sharing their ideas and references to bizarre entertainers of the Bay Area. Special thanks to Paul, Count Fink, Joe, Saul Goode, Indra, and of course Lisa ~ cultural revolutionary extrodinaire.