4.15.2004

The Bride and Doom Entry:

Today in the break room, while I was desperately trying to assimilate calories in the form of a huge eggplant sandwich in the ten minutes I had allotted for lunch, I notice two of my floor’s better looking “Team Members” sitting together at a table near the window. It took me a few minutes to realize this, but it soon became apparent from their silence, glaring, and exasperated facial expressions that they were involved in some sort of romantic entanglement. Only love would make two people hate each other enough to sit through that stilted, prolonged uncomfortable silence. I was shocked to see the slight outline, the specter if you will, of passion in the office break room. It ruined my lunch.

By now you’ve probably all heard about that fate of Weird Al’s parents. Today, he’s posted this statement regarding his plans to continue with his concert tour. The statement is well thought-out and well written, but the work-a-holic sentiment is a serious letdown from my childhood hero. Sometimes the laughter has to stop. Sometimes it’s time to take off the checkered Vans.

Speaking of dead, earlier, I had the uncontrollable urge to quote They Might Be Giants’ “Mink Car” to someone in an email:

"I got hit by a mink car
Hit by a mink car
Driven by a guitar
And the silver shepard says
That it's all in your head
When you're 24 karat dead"

The line “24 karate dead” is one that repeats on endless loop in my head fairly often. Sometimes I like to assess a situation and decide if I’d rather be dead or 24 karate dead, etc. So today, after inflicting these mink lines on the aforementioned Someone, I Googled for where such a concept of 24 karat dead came from. Lo and behold…it was the title of an episode of the 1980's Mickey Spillane-inspired show “Mike Hammer.” I’ve never seen an episode, but you have to check out these episode titles. They are pure gold:

Merchant of Menace
Bride and Doom
Slab-Happy

Speaking of pulpy matters, Mark referred me to a very cool graphic designer/photographer’s site today. Check out Richie Fahey’s neo-retro.

Speaking of slab-happy, If anyone happens to be in Alameda Thursday night and in the mood for some German fare, David will be playing a show at Speisekammer. Fresno veteran Nino Moschella too!
Here’s the info:
A Thursday night (April 15) -- acoustic series at Speisekammer:
"MUSIK MUSIK"
Nino Moschella
David Copenhafer
Helene Renaut (Beam)
Music at 9pm- Free!
2424 Lincoln Ave - (510) 522-1300